Introduction to Blogging …
This is my around 20th post on this blog of mine. This is a self hosted WordPress blog. I came to know still many aren’t aware of the Blogging concept. So thought of writing a series of post under the Blogging topic. This is my first post in this series. Hope you will be able to understand what I have tried to convey.
Before I tell you about the title. Let’s just discuss what all blog is about? Many of you still might me having a question what is Blog? What is WordPress, blogger all about? Here are your answers to that entire bit geeky but simple question which arises out in every person who thinks about blogging world.
What is a BLOG?
Blogger – A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.
Wikipedia – A blog (a blend of the term web log)is a type of website or part of a website supposed to be updated with new content from time to time.
WordPress – “Blog” is an abbreviated version of “weblog,” which is a term used to describe web sites that maintain an ongoing chronicle of information. A blog features diary-type commentary and links to articles on other Web sites, usually presented as a list of entries in reverse chronological order”
I say or define as “Blog is a daily journal/diary of yours views and thoughts over a particular topic or thing”. So simple!!!
Now have look at this image. This will clear all the remaining doubts about blog.
Software that provides a method of managing your website is commonly called a CMS or “Content Management System”. Many blogging software programs are considered a specific type of CMS. They provide the features required to create and maintain a blog, and can make publishing on the internet as simple as writing an article, giving it a title, and organizing it under (one or more) categories.
Features of a Blog
- content is published in a chronological fashion
- content is updated regularly
- readers have the possibility to leave comments
- other blog authors can interact via trackbacks and pingbacks
- content is syndicated via RSS feeds
- Publishing your voice is easy and free
- Develop your community
- Earn money
Now you must have come to know about blog. Now a new question I your mind. Where to blog? The answer is
Top 5 Platform for Blogging ( as per my views)
I personally recommend WORDPRESS. See the reason for it in the below image.Which Blogging Platform Is Best? – WORDPRESS
This video may also help you to understand blog a better way.
Also this is other video you would like to see.
Link :- What is blog ?
Now if you have chosen WORDPRESS as your option for blogging then again you have 2 options in it as
As you know wordpress is an open source blogging tool and publishing platform powered by PHP and MySQL. It is often customized into a content management system (CMS).
So with WordPress.com the hosting and managing of the software is taken care of by the team here at Automatic while with WordPress.org you need to install the software on your own server or with a 3rd party provider.
Let’s now list the benefits and cons of both
First let’s go with WordPress.com
- · It’s free and much easier to setup
- · Everything is taken care of: setup, upgrades, spam, backups, security, etc
- · Your blog is on hundreds of servers, so it’s highly unlikely it will go down due to traffic
- · Your posts are backed up automatically
- We provide 100+ themes (and adding more every day) which you can modify and edit the CSS, but you cannot run a custom theme*
- You can’t hack the PHP code behind your blog*
- You can’t upload plugins
- Also you can’t have your own domain name
- Ability to upload themes
- Ability to upload plugins
- Great community
- Own domain name
- Complete control to change code if you’re technically minded
- You need a good web host, which generally costs $7-12 a month, or thousands of dollars per month for a high traffic site
- Requires more technical knowledge to set up and run
- You’re responsible for stopping spam
- You have to handle backups
- You must upgrade the software manually when a new version comes out.
So I suppose you must have decided that you will go for self hosted wordpress blog then it’s really amazing. My next post will be about how to set up Self Hosted blog on wordpress.org platform. Hope this post has given you a bit idea about what all blogs are about. Below are some links of blogging platform where you can create an free account and start blogging too. So happy blogging. Please give your valuable comments so that I come to understand that I was able to convey what I had to convey.
- WordPress.com – http://www.wordpress.com
- Craving Tech –
Reference Links :-
- WordPress.com – http://www.wordpress.com
- Blogger – http://www.blogger.com
- Tumbler – https://www.tumblr.com/
- Posterous – http://www.posterous.com
- SquareSpace – http://www.squarespace.com